How to join
Membership is open to everyone in Tasmania. It is free and enables you to borrow from any of our libraries around the state and access a range of eResources.
Get a free library bag when you join Libraries Tasmania in September!
Join in September and you’ll receive a free library bag (while stocks last!). If you join online you will need to visit a library and upgrade to full membership to receive your free library bag and access physical resources.
Upgrade to a full membership at anytime by visiting any of our libraries. Please bring proof of identity.
Residents of Tasmania can join in person at any of our libraries. Please bring proof of identity. Children and people under 18 years of age need to bring a parent or guardian with them when they join to act as guarantor.
Visitors to Tasmania
Visitors can apply in person at any of our libraries for a 3 month membership. This entitles you to borrow physical items such as books, magazines and DVDs. Our libraries also offer a range of facilities such as Wi-Fi, computers, printing, photocopying and scanning.
Other types of membership
- Family day carer – for individuals registered with their local council as a Family Day Carer. Available in addition to a personal membership.
- Home educators – available in addition to a personal membership.
- Home library service – for those who have difficulty visiting the library in person or are unable to carry library items home.
- Independent young adults – young people who are 12-17 years of age who are not living with their parent(s) or guardian(s) and who are responsible for looking after themselves, particularly their own finances.
- No address registration – for those who do not have a fixed address. An email address is required.
- Non-responsible adult – a person over the age of 18 years who is not responsible for their legal and financial obligations. A guarantor is required.
- Organisation – available for organisations with an Australian Business Number (ABN). The manager acts as the guarantor.
- Teacher – available in addition to a personal membership. The principal acts as the guarantor.
Contact your local library for more information.
One piece of photo identification showing your current address, such as a Tasmanian driver’s licence or a Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card.
Two or more forms of identification that show your name, date of birth and current address, such as a Medicare card, birth certificate, passport, bank statement or water / power bill.